Monday, January 24, 2011

MONDAY MEMOIRS - Social Networks...

I read today, in a post by Brenda Coffee (BreastCancerSisterhood.com), the following:

"I read a Vanderbilt University Medical Center study that said breast cancer survivors with a strong social network and a feeling of social well-being live longer."

What an interesting thing. It reassures me that our group - Sister Survivors - is going to make a difference. Being able to get together with a group of fellow survivors is important. Learning together, exercising together,
crying together, etc., will help us all. And I whole-heartedly agree, that having a strong social network is helpful when you are going through a trial.

What do you think? Can you take a minute to open your cancer journal, and write about what Brenda said? Were you alone throughout your journey, or surrounded by others? Do you think being part of a group - a group like Sister Survivors, or even a group of personal friends - is going to help you?

By-the-way, I love to read Brenda's posts every week. She is a great writer. She recently lost her husband - something that was very unexpected - and my heart goes out to her. I think about her each week I read her post. Check out her website - she has so many helpful things there. I know you'll love her too.

-Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment