Saturday, April 23, 2011

SATURDAY STRENGTH: Cancer Survivors and Patients Urged to Exercise...

Consider this:

In one year, women who needed chemotherapy for their breast cancer can see a swapping of muscle for fat that's equivalent to 10 years of normal aging, says Dr. Wendy Demark-Wahnefried of the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In other words, a 45-year-old may find herself with the fatter, weaker body type of a 55-year-old.

In an article in USA Today - July 2010 - cancer patients and survivors are urged to exercise. There is growing proof that exercising can help with some cancer-related fatigue, and that it can improve your quality of life.

A recommendation by the American College of Sports Medicine issued guidelines advising cancer survivors to exercise the same amount of time that an average person should: 2 1/2 hours per week. If cancer patients don't feel up to that amount of exercise, they should at least do something on days when they feel well enough - they should avoid inactivity.

Exercise should include aerobic and strength-training. Check with your oncologist before starting any vigorous exercise program - especially if you have problems with things like Lymphema.

Try to find a physical fitness trainer who specializes in training cancer patients and survivors. Why? Well, for instance, studies have shown that careful weight training can protect against Lymphema, however, the average fitness trainer doesn't know how to safely offer that special training.

If you'd like to read the full article, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with this article. Before treatment, I read other studies that showed the benefits of exercise during chemo and radiation, so I was very faithful at walking every day. Although chemo was difficult, I was able to work throughout my cancer treatment and had very little fatigue. I realize there are many different factors that affect how someone responds to treatment, but I really feel that exercise was key to how well I tolerated treatment for breast cancer. I also feel that exercise helped me to maintain a better attitude during treatment. One other interesting side note, my dog would sense the days when I was feeling some fatigue and he would slow down his pace to match mine!

    ReplyDelete