Monday, November 22, 2010

MONDAY MEMOIRS - Cold & Flu Season

I've had two severe colds in the last month, and winter just started. Each cold I get seems to last forever, and is worse than the previous one. I think one of the problems is that my immune system is not as strong as it used to be. It's been a year and a half since my last chemo treatment, and I kind of expected to not have these problems still. But, as I've talked to other cancer survivors, I've learned that it can take 2-5 years to get back to your "normal" pre-cancer self. The fact that I can get back to my old self is good - but I wish it didn't take so much time. It seems that with each new cold, I get weaker and weaker. I guess this would be a good time to make sure I've got a flu shot, that I'm eating fruits and vegetables, and that I get lots of rest.

Today, open your journal and talk about getting better. As you think about this, try to recognize the things you are doing that help you feel better. Is there something you are trying that helps? Maybe you take a nap each day, and that helps boost your energy - or maybe you are careful to stay away from others who are sick.

My advice: Be careful of crowds. If you feel a cold coming on, get plenty of rest and Vitamin C. Take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment