Thursday, November 18, 2010

THURSDAY THOUGHTS: Rain Dancing...

We have a new guest poster - Kathy Christensen. She is one of our own Sister Survivors, and she'll be posting here each week on Thursday Thoughts:

When I came to the first meeting for Sister Survivors, I didn't know quite what to expect. Not knowing anyone in the room, I decided to mostly listen and see what this organization was all about. As I listened to Kara, Collete and Bethanie, I couldn't help but be fascinated by their stories, their experiences and their positiveness. Later, when I listened to many of the survivors tell of their experiences, I felt almost unworthy to be in the room. My own Cancer adventure, although huge and disconcerting to me, didn't hold a candle to all that these many women had endured.

I was diagnosed on December 10, 2008, and had a lumpectomy on January 2, 2009. My very small tumor(less than a centimeter in size) was found during a routine mammogram. Because of this great blessing I was spared the rigors of Chemo Therapy and did not even come close to needing a Mastectomy. I decided that I could truly be the poster child for mammograms....Perhaps THAT is what I could contribute to the group.

At the November meeting I volunteered to try my hand at providing the Thursday Thoughts for the blog. I was happy to lighten the load for Kara any way that I could. As I thought of where I might begin, I remembered a wonderful little plaque that I found to give my best friend for her birthday birthday. It read like this:

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it is about learning to dance in the rain."

I absolutely fell in love with this thought because I feel that all of of us do
our fair share of "raindancing" as we progress through our lives. I feel that the women I have met in the Sister Survivors group are among the bravest and most courageous that I have ever had the privilege to meet. So carry on dear Sister Survivors....every one of you. You are among the best "raindancers" I have ever seen. The world can learn from all of us as we help lift, encourage and support one another. I am most proud to be a part of this group.

Sincerely,

Kathleen T Christensen (Kathy)

No comments:

Post a Comment