Friday, October 22, 2010

FRIDAY FARE - Healthy Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Sorry for the lack of posting this week. We've had a CRAZY few days getting ready for our Kick-Off next Thursday. I hope you are all planning on attending. We've got a great keynote speaker, and a silent auction with a TON of cool stuff.

Anyway, guest blogger, Shannon Stahura, sent me this recipe LAST Friday (when I was super sick), and I didn't post it. It looks SO yummy. I think I'll make it when my son comes home with his girlfriend to visit on Sunday. Here is her recipe for you...


"With the chill in the air, I am still focused on soups. So... here is another soup recipe. It just seems like a great way to stay warm, get comfort and of course get those veggie servings. Not to mention, when you stick with the broth-based soups they tend to be low in calories and fat, so that is always a plus. This week's soup is one of my favorites. I make it probably once a month and its something that everyone loves. I get a lot of recipe requests for this one!"

Chicken Tortilla Soup
(prep time 30 minutes/ serves 8-10)

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cooked and shredded or diced
2 cups of fresh salsa
6-8 cups of chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup onion
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper
2 cups canned black beans
2 cups corn
juice of one lime

Directions

1. Bake or boil chicken breasts, then shred or dice chicken and set aside.
2. In a large stock pot, melt butter and sautee onion until soft. Add chicken broth, then add everything else. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes and serve.

*Optional
Top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, sour cream and diced avacado and serve with a wedge of lime.

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment